Saturday, 29 February 2020

Bridge Day 2

Day two of this bridge build was only a short work period.  I spent time measuring and calculating the right position of the hinge pin. After some research I found out that this pin position should be a minimum of 5mm above the rail head.

Having deliberately left the main rail bed support runners 4" over length at one end it was now time to cut off and fix the over hinge.

Friday, 28 February 2020

First Bridge

So a start is made on my very first attempt to make an aluminium flat bed bridge.
 I started by cutting and clamping all the base bit together and making sure all was square and measured correctly a start was made at drilling and riveting the pieces together.

Now after finding the right size rivets and drill size i.e. 3mm rivets/ 3.5mm drills assembly started.

When the final rivet was in place it was time to start and work out the correct placement of the longitudinal track support bars and making sure the clearances are adequate as the bridge is approached by a curve and so overhang had to be taken in to account. 

Saturday, 22 February 2020

Bridging the gap

Well here we are, after finally getting all the materials and helpful advice together it's time to make a start, this gap must be filled

The decision to build my own came about when I found out that Michael at MVL Bridges was at present not taking more orders as he has a backlog, and as I now need to get on and complete what was a rather hefty bit of repair work ( bought on I think over quite a lengthy time since it was erected, some 12 years I think ). On studying MVL Bridges website I found that all the materials needed were available from them. So looking at the photos on the website and making several adjustments for size etc I produced a cutting list.
          Lo and behold following a couple of fast responses to e-mail's it was priced up and dispatched and was here by the end of the week.
 Also Michael was extremely helpful with advice on nuts and bolts, riveting etc. So when all the tools and materials were got together with the measurements and sketch I had made it was time to make a start..