Friday, 17 January 2020

New Warehouse




It had become apparent that the Gnome Valley Barley Sugar Pudding Factory was in need of  a larger warehouse with distribution facilities. So a suitable site was looked for and we settled for a small overgrown area that because of its position was very difficult to keep tidy.




So measurements where taken and a design came up with. A two road siding was decided on with a long 2 story building so designed as to be able to be used as a storage shed for unused stock when not in us






 
Now I must say at this point that I am not a very accomplished modeler and not very interested in fine detail, all I want is a reasonable looking structure. So here I go to route through the workshop material store to see what might turn up that could be  suitable for this project.







Finding several pieces of 2” thick high density foam board and a decent sized left over off cut of 10mm twin wall roofing sheet a plan of action started to take shape in my head. Thinking further on from this I thought perhaps I could use home made doors and a few left over windows that I found in my spare                                                                        parts box.
         What came next was like putting together a large jig saw as I don’t work from drawing etc so I just played about with chunk's of foam until I thought I had what I thought would fit the space available.


Following several experiments with gluing dense foam I finally settled on UHU POR expanded polystyrene glue.





Hopefully a balcony will be added with a hoist to help with unloading, but several after conversations with club member it was suggested that individual platforms lowered by chains would look better and then following my first assemble it was suggested that the chains should be taught as they would have been pulled up from inside.

Now as for painting, again I looked for quick and easy. By mixing kiln dried sand with exterior masonry paint I came up with what looks like a Tyrolean type render . I applied several coats of this mix so as to be sure of a good waterproof coverage. 




Corner stones, window sills, lintels and side stones are all made from hard wood flat beading cut to size and fixed on after the main paint was applied. This of course made fitting difficult as areas had to be scraped and cleaned before they could be successfully glued in place.



The roof was easy as it is just a board laid on top. I glued small tabs of off cut hard wood inside so as to keep it’s position and it was painted with industrial grade machinery paint, (scrounged from a friend). The edges were sealed by securing hard wood pegs into the open weave of the twin wall and then inserting recessed tiny screws. 

So when finally put in place I think it looks pretty good, all it needs now I think is a few more bits and pieces on and around to finish of the illusion of a busy warehouse.







Now that’s what I call basic modelling.



No comments:

Post a comment